• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

relocation to another city

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

llmtambo

What is the name of your state? New Jersey.
I have a telemarketing sales job. My sales have not been good and I was told today that I either have to improve my sales or go to another office in another town, about 1/2 hour's drive from my home. I am not an experienced driver and do not drive on parkways or other fast moving traffic places. This job is only 10 minutes from my house. If I refuse to go to the other office, do they have a legal reason to deny my unemployemnt benefits?

Last edited:

pattytx

You never know what the agency will decide, but it is very, very unlikely you would be granted UI benefits if you quit under the circumstances you posted. Most states will not grant benefits if you are offered suitable work but refuse it. The driving prohibitions you have, or have set for yourself, are not enough to claim "just cause" for quitting your job. A 30-0minute commute is not unreasonable, especially in NJ. I've lived and worked places where the commute was at least an hour for only 20 miles. Could you carpool or vanpool? Take public transportation? Pay a friend to 'commute' you?

I am 99.99999 sure this isn't going to fly with the UI agency.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
For the record, only the state can grant or deny benefits, not your employer. But if you refused to go to the other office, it is quite likely (and entirely legal) that your employer will contest benefits. While Patty is correct that no one can guess what the state will do, the smart money would be on your being denied benefits. The state does not easily or often approve benefits to anyone who refuses work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">