• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DMCVA

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Hello,

I am curious about how enforceable relocation contracts are. I was terminated recently for what the company called misconduct (potential wrongful term case) after 14 years of service. I had relocation 6 times with the company with the last move happening 14 months ago. They company had me sign a relocation letter each time that stated that if I quit or was terminated with cause that I would have to pay back a prorated part of the cost of relocation. My question, do these relocation letters stand up in court. I was termed for what I know was based on false claim and now they want me to pay approx 20k.

Any feedback or advice would be very helpful

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just as an FYI, a wrongful term does not mean you were fired for something you didn't do; it means a specific law prohibits the employer from firing you for the reason they did.

How enforceable any given contract is depends on the contract and your state's laws. Only an attorney in your state who has read the agreement in full can tell you whether it will hold up in these circumstances or not.

Gadfly

if I quit or was terminated with cause that I would have to pay back a prorated part of the cost of relocation.
What was the time period stated in this agreement. Most are only for a year.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The bottom line is that many such agreements ARE enforceable and you'll have to show it to an attorney to see if yours is or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">