• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation and Education expense reimbursements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

venkyv

This is with reference to my last job in California as Director - Business Development for an Internet service provider company.

I relocated from CT in August last year and my employer agreed to pay for my relocation expenses and also the costs involved in completing my EMBA program at UConn (which I was halfway through).

Due to deteriorating business conditions, my employer, suddenly in April, deducted from my paycheck a large chunk of money for the days I was away in CT for my EMBA program (starting from August of last year) deeming them to be "negative vacation" days.

When I protested there was no provision in my contract to make such a deduction, I was laid off on June 1 (stating in writing that my position had been eliminated due to "poor business conditions") after which my ex-employer has been demanding (most recently through a collection agency) that I return the Relocation and Education expenses already reimbursed to me (checks signed by the President himself over the period of almost 9 months against expense reports presented by me) since I did not complete the required 1 year of employment that I was supposed to complete (having been laid off after 10 months) - the contract drawn up by the employer does not explicitly spell out what happens if I got laid off within one year.

Are my employer's demands for returning money for expenses already already incurred and reimbursed legitimate? If not, what can I do to end harrassment by the collection agency?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">