• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation Expense Payback

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keithjam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I have worked for my current employer for about 13 months in Indiana. When I was hired I was told my job was being relocated to New Jersey which was my main reason for accepting the job in Indiana. Since, then the company has decided to keep my job in Indiana and I am leaving the company.

When hired I signed a paper that said I will pay for 70% of the relocation cost (~$10,000) if I leave the company within 14 months. Since the company canceled the reason for accepting the job, do I have to pay back the relocation expenses? I don't believe the intent of the agreement is for the company to keep me in "jail" for lack of a better term.

Thanks for your help,
Keith

keithjam

With one more month it drops to 60%. The reimbursement drops to 0% after 2 years and I already have another opportunity lined up.

eerelations

I don't understand - you took the job because they were going to relocate you to New Jersey and you wanted to go there but then they didn't relocate you to New Jersey so you're still in Indiana but they gave you the relocation money anyway and you spent it on...something else? And you don't want to pay it back because...?

keithjam

I relocated from Florida to Indiana which cost $17,000.

When I was being interviewed upper management said we were moving to New Jersey within 18 months. Since being hired, they decided they are not moving to New Jersey and now I am stuck in Indiana.

I do not want to pay back the money because I feel that I relocated based on promises which have not been met. In addition I can not afford to pay 70% of $17,000.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I relocated from Florida to Indiana which cost $17,000.

When I was being interviewed upper management said we were moving to New Jersey within 18 months. Since being hired, they decided they are not moving to New Jersey and now I am stuck in Indiana.

I do not want to pay back the money because I feel that I relocated based on promises which have not been met. In addition I can not afford to pay 70% of $17,000.
You would need to have your contract reviewed by a local attorney. I suspect that you have no proof of any promise of a second relocation. In fact, I suspect that you weren't told they "were" moving, rather that they were exploring a move, or considering a move.

keithjam

While there is no written proof of a second relocation, people could be Subpoenaed and asked questions about them mentioning relocation to New Jersey.

Silverplum

While there is no written proof of a second relocation, people could be Subpoenaed and asked questions about them mentioning relocation to New Jersey.
Discussion is not decision. Mentioning is not doing. Saying is not putting it in writing.

(I'm on the verge of becoming Yoda, so I'll stop.)

swalsh411

Why would you want to live in NJ? With the exception of some beach towns, it's the arm pit of the east coast.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">