• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation--Layoff or resignation!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cariveratoe

What is the name of your state? California

I currently work for a big Aerospace Company in So Calif. My division has been sold to United Technologies Company (UTC), but I am at a facility that will transfer to UTC about 6 to 8 months after the sale is final. I have been told that my job will most likely transfer to a location 110 miles away from my current work location (but still in California) and that I will most likely be getting a job offer at the new location. I am further being told that if I refuse the job offer at this new location, then my company and UTC will consider my refusal as "...a voluntary resignation from my current employer..." and I will not qualify for layoff benefits from either company. Is this legal?

BelizeBreeze

cariveratoe said:
What is the name of your state? California

I currently work for a big Aerospace Company in So Calif. My division has been sold to United Technologies Company (UTC), but I am at a facility that will transfer to UTC about 6 to 8 months after the sale is final. I have been told that my job will most likely transfer to a location 110 miles away from my current work location (but still in California) and that I will most likely be getting a job offer at the new location. I am further being told that if I refuse the job offer at this new location, then my company and UTC will consider my refusal as "...a voluntary resignation from my current employer..." and I will not qualify for layoff benefits from either company. Is this legal?
It is Perfectly legal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Completely legal and not even all that uncommon. Refusal of a position within the company is almost always considered a voluntary resignation, even if it means a transfer.

Depending on your state law, the fact that the new position involves a transfer MIGHT make you eligible for unemployment, but I wouldn't hold my breath. It costs nothing to apply and there is no penalty for being wrong.

boonehead

If the company is sold, They would have to layoff all the employees they no longer have a place of employment. If the company that bought the new company offered all ex employees a job at a new location, and they refused because it is over 50 miles away, they would not be eligable for unemployment benifits? How is that correct legally? Would that not be the same as the company closing and you where refused unemployment benifits because a company 100 miles away offered you a job and you refused it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">