• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation refused. Training someone at original site

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

duffer97

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My position is being relocated to NJ. I was offered relocation but I will probably decline. They are expecting me to train someone In Massachusetts to do a portion of my job. Can this be done? One other tie-in is Unemployment compensation. I am told that I cannot collect unemployment comp. until my after severance runs out (29 weeks) . I need a separation agreement in order to collect day one. Is there anything I can do about that - considering the "non-relocation"

thanks for your time
Duff

Beth3

You want to know if your employer can require you to train someone else on some of your job duties? Of course they can.

I'll have to let cbg answer the UC question but in the great majority of States, it's not possible to collect UC benefits while you are receiving severance in the form of salary continuation.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless you are offered and signed a waiver in exchange for severance, MA state law will not permit you to collect UI until after the severance expires. It will NOT affect the length of time you can collect UI. Your UI benefits will not be reduced by the amount of severance. You cannot force your employer to offer you a waiver.

Personally, I don't understand why you want to have your severance and UI run concurrently. If you have eight weeks of severance (for example) and 26 weeks of UI, that means you have some form of income for 34 weeks. In the current market, that can be very important.

D

duffer97

Thank you for your insight. I want to collect UI as soon as possible because I will NOT be out of work too long and I would like to bank my severance (which is lump sum distribution - does that change anything?)

Thanks again

Beth3

In some States, a lump sum distribution of severance does make a difference. I don't know whether MA is one of those or not. What you need to do is apply for UC benefits after your employment ends and see what happens.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The last time I checked, which was about a year and a half ago, a lump sum distribution did NOT make a difference. What mattered was whether or not you have to sign a waiver, and that was the only thing that mattered.

It is not impossible that the law has changed since then. I know there are a few things that have been altered due to the changing labor market. You really need to be asking this question of the DET.

BTW, just how do you know that you will not be out of work long? At the present time, there are upwards of 300 applicants for every position, and people with exceptional qualifications and impeccable references are still out of work after a year or more. The job market is NOT friendly in this state. (In case you didn't notice, I'm in MA also.)

Unless you already have an offer on the table, don't count your chickens.

D

duffer97

How you say- blood is thicker than water...I got work (even if it is not my area of expertise) Thanks for your help

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">