• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation Repayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

woodyatmu

What is the name of your state? PA

When I started with my present company I signed a contract that stated I would have to repay all signing bonuses and relocation costs if I left before my one-year anniversary.

I was offered a new position in another state and I am planning to put in my two-week notice exactly two weeks from my anniversary date.

Is it possible for my company to fire me after my two-week notice to recoup the relocation and signing bonus that was given to me?

pattytx

Anything is possible. Could two weeks really make that much difference? Surely your new employer would understand.

longneck

FYI, there was another post today about someone who gave their two weeks notice and their employer didn't keep them on for the whole two weeks. perfectly legal. i suggest giving them notice the day AFTER your anniversary.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, they can accept your resignation immediately without allowing you to work out your notice. Whether or not that would then make you liable for the payback will depend on the exact wording of the agreement.

It would be safer to turn in your resignation on the day after your anniversary.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">