• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Removed due to illness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Greg67

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

The good news is, I'm not fired. The bad, I was recently removed from an assigned job do to a 4 day bout with influenza and my income and hours are about to drop. I'm in a union but I don't fall under their umbrella because they don't cover the type of assignment I was on. I would have had it for the duration of the year. My problem is, I work with children so even if I wanted too, I probably wouldn't have been allowed to work. My removal from my assignment was managements discretion, but I also know nobody else has been removed from an assignment. I'm now at the mercy of said management for hours for the rest of the year.

I know it's a cruel world where employers have all the power but this just doesn't seem right to me and I fear management just won't call me in.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

The good news is, I'm not fired. The bad, I was recently removed from an assigned job do to a 4 day bout with influenza and my income and hours are about to drop. I'm in a union but I don't fall under their umbrella because they don't cover the type of assignment I was on. I would have had it for the duration of the year. My problem is, I work with children so even if I wanted too, I probably wouldn't have been allowed to work. My removal from my assignment was managements discretion, but I also know nobody else has been removed from an assignment. I'm now at the mercy of said management for hours for the rest of the year.

I know it's a cruel world where employers have all the power but this just doesn't seem right to me and I fear management just won't call me in.
**A:so what is your question?

Greg67

Guess I should have asked that part, My mistake.

Is it legal or just a shady move on their part. My biggest worry is I won't get any hours in the rotations this late in the year and is there anything I can do now to protect myself? They've already admitted they booted me because I got sick and will provide me with paperwork saying as much.

Greg67

I figured it was legal or they wouldn't do it. I wish there was more to the story I'm not telling, but thats it.

The guy who booted me is the same one who I now have to rely on to make money. I hope they follow protocol, but I have my doubts. I guess I just have to log everything and hope for the best.

Thanks for answering so quickly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">