• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

removed from my position

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curious t

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I was in a caseworker position for 1 year and 2 months. I got a DWI (Class B Misdemeanor) I followed all protocol to report this to my employer. I was given a three month probationary period and remained an active employee with no interruptions in job duties. After the three month probation period was over, there was no other action taken and I remained in my position. I requested and received a transfer to a different geographical area performing the same job duties just under new supervision. My former supervisor transferred my personnel file (as policy requires) to my new supervisor. I continued to serve in the same position for another year following the arrest for the DWI. I then requested a transfer to a different field of service (same employer and also a caseworker position). I was granted this position and transferred. My personnel file was not transferred by my supervisor to my new department. Not sure why and was not aware that it was not done at the time. I completed necessary training for this position. During the training period, I was requested to allow a criminal background check to be performed. (This was the first time that my employer had pulled criminal histories on its employees.) I allowed the background check to be performed as my employer required it and I had no reason to not do so as my employer was aware of what would be on the record. Following the return of the results I was placed on desk duty and not able to perform my regular job duties. I was questioned about the procedures that I followed to alert my employer at the time of the offense. I explained who I reported the offense to and when and that it was all within policy requirements. I was left on desk duty for 30 days and then I was removed from my position because of the DWI. I was given 60 days paid leave to find another position with the same employer. I was not given the option of an appeal with Human Resources informing me that the decision was "not appealable". I learned after that the background checks were restricting new applicants that have a DWI on their record from employment with my employer but no one could (or would) tell me why I was not allowed to remain the position 1 year and 2 months following the offense without any interruption in job duties and then be removed from the position long after the fact. I was told that I could not return to a caseworker position for 5 years following the conviction date of the DWI. I guess my question is do I have any recourse whatsoever? Due to the nature of the business, I was only able to find a position that was considered a "demotion" because I did not want to lose my benefits as I have a family that needs the insurance that I pay for each month. I was forced to take a drastic cut in pay to remain employed. While I take full responsibility for the mistake that I made, I wonder if I was treated fairly with the policy being made retroactive on current employees. There have been no other infractions either before or since and I completed a ll legal requirements without incident.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Based on what you posted, nothing even remotely illegal has occurred.

ETA: Congratulations on your continued employment in the current economic climate!

pattytx

Zigner, congratulations on reading the big block o' text. Why can't people compose their posts with paragraphs? :rolleyes:

commentator

Does your state have a state employees union or a bargaining group? If so, they would be the ones who would be able to look at your situation and see if the rules were applied fairly in your case. It sounds a little funky, and as in most civil service situations, you are the only one who is working for you. Do not expect a supervisor or your manager to be in the least interested in helping you solve these situations.

For example, the only way you can be sure that as soon as enough time has elapsed after your DWI to have it taken off your employment record is for YOU to keep up with this, and at the exact point when it can be, you send in a letter requesting that it be removed at once.

At that point, immediately file your application for the higher level job you used to have and would like to be reinstated in. Nobody will tell you to do this, but if you are not on the registers for it, you have no chance of getting it back. The year and a half you have already done the job should improve your score on the hiring register.

It sounds as though, blundering in the dark, the state probably did nothing illegal to you, but they sort of enforced a rule retroactively because they wanted to. Speak with your human resources department, don't be belligerant, be persistent, but find out exactly what rules they were enforcing, exactly when these rules came into play, and who did the decision making on your situation.

You may find that this new rule was used to shaft you because they had someone else they wanted to put in your position. You may find that in other cases, the rule was applied differently. In any case, you probably cannot sue the state of TX or the Dept. of Personnel for the State of TX or even your own department. But you can become fully informed and do your own homework about it. Like I have said, if you have an employees association, become a member. Ask them. They are a legitimate source of answers in cases of this type.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">