• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Removing Wedding Bands

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dawn1098730

What is the name of your state? California

My mother was fired from her job today because she refused to remove her wedding rings. She has worked for this company for 3 years and has never been asked to remove her rings before. She has discontinued wear of all other jewelry. Her wedding rings have not been removed from her finger since the day they were put there and she won't remove them. She does work with food but is required to always wear latex gloves. Can they fire her for that?

Beth3

Can they fire her for that? Yes. If the employer has determined that rings pose a safety or health hazard in the workplace, they absolutely can institute a policy requiring all rings be removed.

While your mother works in a different type of environment, I once had an employee who lost his left ring finger because his wedding band caught on the edge of a metal container when he foolishly climbed to the top of a stack of pentainers and decided to jump down - a double violation of safety rules. He wasn't supposed to be wearing his ring in the first place, much less climbing up a stack of storage bins.

Your mother had the right to refuse to remove her wedding rings; the employer has the right to terminate her employment for refusing to do so.

longneck

the grocery store i worked at belonged to an association or voluntary regulatory board (can't remember exactly what it was) that went beyond the state health guidelines for handling meats. it required that people who wear latex gloves remove all finger, hand and wrist jewelry. rings can pinch a glove and slice or wear it open. they can also create a divet around the edge of the ring that increases the chances of getting it caught on something.

it is perfectly reasonable for an employer to require that, both for the protection of the customers and the employees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">