• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repay moving expenses?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LouieTheCat

Hello from Northern CA!

Last January I was told by my employer I was to receive a mandatory 25% pay cut. The cuts were company-wide (with some odd exceptions) and were solely financial decisions (read, last-ditch-effort-to-stay-in-business) and not in any way based on my performance. I told my employer I could not continue working for such a low wage and still meet my expenses. I didn't actually say "I quit", but I made it clear that I would be looking for another job. They seemed to understand my position at the time and offered to help me in my job search while I remained employed with them.

However, days later they seemed to forget their generosity and now looked to me as the short-term solution to their financial woes. They claimed that since I was planning to leave, I owed them back a hefty portion of my moving expenses ($3000+!). Yes, there is a "clause" in my employment agreement that says just that.. however, the same agreement also quite clearly states my original salary which is no longer valid. We had very heated arguments over whether I owed them anything and was eventually fired because they got sick of dealing with the issue (and me).

Now, after months of pensive silence, I'm hearing rumors that these people (still on questionable financial grounds) are considering coming after me for the money they claim I owe them. Will their claim hold up in court?

To complicate the issue, they refuse to return personal property (books, CDs, desk lamp) to me that I left behind when I was fired. Is there any chance I will get this stuff back without paying them?

Thanks for the advice.. I love this forum!
LouieTheCat

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">