• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repay relocation/sign-on bonus?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

heathern

What is the name of your state? Iowa

Started new job in January. Offer included $1500 sign-on bonus to help w/ relocation, and also stated "this offer should not be construed as a guarantee of employment for any specific duration". Put in 2 week notice toward end of July; was told that since I hadn't worked a year I needed to repay sign-on bonus. Had not signed anything agreeing to this, but paid the company $100 upon leaving and another $100 this past month. My concern is that I have already paid them $200--would this be considered in a court of law as a non-written agreement that I will repay the sign-on bonus? I still have a copy of the offer letter, and did not sign anything upon my hire with or leaving the company as to repayment of sign-on bonus w/ regard to duration of employment. If the company does not have to agree to a specific employment term, do I? Can I be penalized monetarily for quitting without having prior knowledge of the penalization? Do I need to finish paying the company since I have already started? If not, can I ask for my $200?

Beth3

If there was no verbal or written agreement that you would have to repay the relocation bonus, you are not obligated to repay them. You may ask for your $200 back, although I wouldn't count on them voluntarily returning the money.

H

heathern

I *did* make a verbal agreement with the HR manager to repay, and after I received a letter stating I was delinquent on payments (of which I never received a repayment schedule promised to me verbally), I told her over the phone that I would pay back $150 every 2 weeks until it was paid off. Because I did not sign anything and all communication was made verbally, do I have any type of a case against the company?

StacyLB

You've put yourself in a tough position by beginning to pay it back--had you never done anything, you *probably* would have been fine.

Try just not paying. Ignore letters and the like unless it sounds as though they will come after you via the legal system. I doubt they will pursue it given the time and expense it will take.

Best of luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">