• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repaying Costs Associated With Recruitment Agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jrgray86

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I recently gave my current employer 2-week's notice to take another job. I've only been working my current job for 6 months and therefore, did not meet the 2 year requirement stated in my contract. The contract states "The company will pay you a lump sum of $2000 to assist with your relocation. Please note that should you voluntarily leave the company within 24 months you will be responsible for repaying a pro-rated portion of the costs associated with your placement and relocation." I took this to mean the $2000. Now HR is telling me I owe over $11,000 because they used a recruiter to hire me. Keep in mind the recruiter is someone they use regularly and I did not hire/seek him. He contacted me after finding my resume on CareerBuilder and set me up with the interview. Am I really obligated to pay this? That amount of money seems ridiculous. Please help.

pattytx

It does say associated with your "placement". What did you think that meant? $11K isn't all that unusual. It's normally a percentage of your salary for some period of time.

Are you telling me the recruiter never explained this to you?

Beth3

Am I really obligated to pay this? It would appear so however it would be worth your while to show the document to a local attorney and get an expert opinion. Depending on how badly the new employer wants you, they may be willing to pay a portion of or all of those outgoing costs for you.

jrgray86

Never Explained...of course I knew he would be paid by the COMPANY. I've always been told that recruiters can never charge a job seeker...only employers. Also, that pro-rated amount figures to be about 35% of my total package, which seems extremely high. And as far as "placement", I never considered paying for a recruiter who I never sought after.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I've always been told that recruiters can never charge a job seeker...only employers.

It's not that they cannot - there's no law prohibiting it. It's that reputable ones don't. Reputable ones charge the employer only.

Feel free to form your own conclusions about what I am saying between the lines....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">