• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repayment Sign-On Bonus/Loan?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cheyovich

in california. 2 days after i started training, the company started offering sign-on bonuses to new employees, they decided to extend the offer to us but said because we had already started it was more like a loan (the contract says Sign on bonus loan). i was given a sign on bonus for my first six months along with a contract stating that i would pay back the bonus/loan regardless who terminated the employment(unless it was due to a layoff) and i would receive another bonus for my next 6 months. i made it through the first 6 months and then got the second check just after my supervisor put me on 90 days probation, i worked very hard to do what they asked and bring my diary current, but 3 months later i was fired(even though I had recieved 3 client letters thanking me on my customer service), i was not fired for insubordination, i would have gladly stayed to work out the last 3 months not to have to pay the bonus back. Do I have to pay the full amount? Taxes for the first check were taken from the second check, if I need to pay this back should I negotiate for only paying for the 3 months they let me go. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">