• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repayment of training costs when ending employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

systolic

What is the name of your state? VA

I am thinking of leaving my current employer for another job opportunity. I have received training in the past year and it states in the employee handbook that I must pay the company back for training fees up to a year after they were incurred. However, the training was charged to a client that I am contracted with and I very much doubt that my company would pay the client back for these fees if they decided to charge me. I would like to know if there is any way that I can get out of paying back this training if I leave, due to the fact that it was at no cost to my employer. The total cost for the training was approximately $4,000 so I don't know if getting a lawyer involved for that amount would even be worth it.

I don't know if this would have any impact, but the training is required in my job description and they didn't send me until after being with the company for 14 months. A coworker, who has a similar position, but was hired earlier than I, received the training right away. Not receiving the training right away also effected my ability to do my job, since it is a certification for the main part telecommunications system that I work with for my job.

I also think that if it ever came to getting any kind of legal statement from the client they would not charge me for the training because they would not want to get the client involved.

I can prove all facts mentioned by copies of emails.

BelizeBreeze

The answer to your question requires a full review of all relevant documents. So, consult a local attorney who can request such from your company.

Beth3

I would like to know if there is any way that I can get out of paying back this training if I leave, due to the fact that it was at no cost to my employer. I expect you're going to have to ask your employer whether they would enforce their training pay-back policy in a situation like this.

systolic

I expect you're going to have to ask your employer whether they would enforce their training pay-back policy in a situation like this.
I would be nice if I could simply ask them that, but if I do they will know that I am seeking other employment.

Beth3

I would be nice if I could simply ask them that, but if I do they will know that I am seeking other employment.
Yep, that's the dilemma. Unfortunately, nobody but your employer can tell you whether they intend to recoup the $4,000 in training costs from you if you resign. This isn't a legal matter (at least at this point), it's a company policy matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">