• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

request by employer to leave early after resignation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kharianna

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi, I have a few questions which I am not sure about which I hope someone can clarify it for me.

I work in a preschool and gave my resignation letter on 6/6/05 telling the preschool my last day will be 7/8/05 (which is exactly 4 working weeks as written in the policy manual).

The preschool winter/spring session ends on 6/28/05. I was told by my supervisor that the agency will only pay me for until 6/30/05 as July 1st is the beginning of summer session and that they can't pay me for 7/1/05 and 7/4/05 as it is part of a new school session.

I understand that the employer can let me go early after I give them the resignation. However, my supervisor asked me to write a new resignation stating that my last date will be 6/28/05. I am wary about this request as I am afraid that the company can use it against me later on. Do they really need me to write a new resignation letter? Should I give a new resignation letter stating my last day is 6/28/05. Can the owner use that against me later on saying that I gave less than 4 weeks of notice if I was to give a revised resignation letter?

Also, I have about 6 paid sick days left which the policy states that I am suppose to be able to cash out upon my resignation I am worry that the owner won't give me the money. Can he do that?

The other question is that a letter has been sent out by the owner that a bonus will be given to employees employed before October 2004. Technically, Bonus is usually given for good past year performance, wouldn I be entitled to that since I've been there for 4 years and?

Any help is appreciated especially with the question regarding rewritting my resignation letter. Thanks

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do they really need me to write a new resignation letter?

Probably not, but it's not an outrageous request either.

Should I give a new resignation letter stating my last day is 6/28/05

That's up to you. I don't see any strong reasons either for or against doing so.

Can the owner use that against me later on saying that I gave less than 4 weeks of notice if I was to give a revised resignation letter?

Use it against you how? With whom?

I have about 6 paid sick days left which the policy states that I am suppose to be able to cash out upon my resignation I am worry that the owner won't give me the money. Can he do that?

NY state law does not require the payout of sick days. However, in general, NY requires an employer to follow their policies. So I'll have to give you a maybe on that one. You can verify one way or another with the NY State DOL.

Technically, Bonus is usually given for good past year performance, wouldn I be entitled to that since I've been there for 4 years and?

That will depend entirely on the terms of the bonus agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">