• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Required to Attend Function off the Clock

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GinaKinion

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Missouri

My boss says I may have to attend a job related function on a Sunday (without pay) or I will no longer be able to work for the company. Is this legal in the state of Missouri?

pattytx

Generally speaking, if you are required to attend a meeting or function, that is considered work time for which you must be paid, if you are a nonexempt employee. Having said that, legally they can fire you for not attending a required meeting or function, just like if they had asked you to work overtime and you refused.

However, what type of function is it? And are you an exempt or nonexempt employee?

GinaKinion

Response to Question about Firing

I am a staff member at a school and it is a graduation ceremony that I am being told I must attend. I am an hourly employee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">