• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Required classes and no pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

violas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I work for a medical agency that requires that we do all of their agency's required trainings on line and at no pay. It will probably take me 8 hours to do all of their required trainings on my own time with no pay.The people who do not complete the training will be taken off the work schedule and fired. In the past, I had to do required trainings at other jobs but was always paid for my time. Is this legal?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I work for a medical agency that requires that we do all of their agency's required trainings on line and at no pay. It will probably take me 8 hours to do all of their required trainings on my own time with no pay.The people who do not complete the training will be taken off the work schedule and fired. In the past, I had to do required trainings at other jobs but was always paid for my time. Is this legal?
**A: you can get fired for any reason so why all the fuss?

violas

I keep hearing that you have to get paid for your time. However, at this place it is required or you are fired. So what about other people here? Do you also have to do 8 hours worth of unpaid trainings in order to keep your job?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Who is requiring the training? Your employer or the state (as in for certification)? It makes a difference to the answer.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This answer presumes that you are a non-exempt employee. If you are an exempt employee, the answer changes.

Since it is your employer and not the state that is making the requirement, you must be paid for the time you are actually undergoing the training.

However, FL does not have a state DOL and if you file a wage claim with the Federal DOL (which is an option), the DOL will only support a claim for Federal minimum wage. Your best bet may be small claims.

Betty

If you're non-exempt & it is employer required training:

Lectures, Meetings and Training Programs: Attendance at lectures, meetings, training programs and similar activities need not be counted as working time only if four criteria are met, namely: it is outside normal hours, it is voluntary, not job related, and no other work is concurrently performed.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs22.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">