• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Required documents required to hire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

psdvb

I live in Illinois. I'm trying to speed up a hiring practice for a company that hires union workers out of the union hall. I'm trying to find out what forms are absolutely necessary for an individual to sign in order to be considered as hired. I'm sure there are many papers a company wants an employee to sign, but I only want what is legally necessary to ensure the person is considered an employee within the very first 15 minutes of the day.

crager34

Here ya go.

The forms the most employers say ther are "required" to have are the W-4 and the I-9. The W-4 for withholding of Income Taxes and the I-9 for Verification of Employment Eligibility. I will give you just a snippet of the actual LAW, and then where to go to read the entire LAW.

I-9 - Code of Federal Regulations Title 8 Chapter I Section 274a.2 = "This section states the requirements...." "...limited to a person or entity who is either an agricultural association, agricultural employer, or farm labor contractor..." DOES THIS DESCRIBE THE EMPLOYER?

W-4 = Code of Federal Regulations Title 26 part 31 Section 31.3402(p)-1 = "An employee and his employer may enter into an agreement..." THIS MEANS YOU "MAY" OR "MAY NOT" USE THE W-4. (I do conceed that not using a W-4 is very hard to bypass)

Basically, the employer is only "required" to do acouple of things. Make sure the person is leagally able to work in the United States of America. This can be done by simply having the worker "show" proof of eligibility. If there isn't a legitimate reason to believe the person is lying with that proof, then it is ok to accept that proof "shown" to them. If the person is eligable, the employer is not "requred" to have anything else.

B

buddy2bear

Your best bet would be to get a hold of the company's union contract (your hiring hall should have a copy). Check out the clause pertaining to "probationary period." I just can't imagine you achieving your goal of "first 15 minutes," unless you own the company!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">