• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Required" one hour of overtime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dwilliams

Upon my first day of work, my new boss stated that I have to put on one hour of overtime each day. I am an exempt employee and I am not compensated for my extra hours. I was told before I started that there may be overtime, however, I assumed this would depend on a project I was working on and deadlines, not requiring me to work an hour of overtime every day.

Is there anything I can do to get my time back, stop this overtime practice or gain compensation for the 87 1/2 hours of overtime I've been forced to put in so far?

B

BeckerLegal

Many employees who assume they are exempt are really not exempt. In California, the primary duty test requires that fifty percent of your time be spent performing exempt tasks for you to be exempt from overtime.

Whether mandatory overtime for an truly exempt employee destroys the exemption is a fact based inquiry. You need to speak to an attorney about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">