• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Required working hours

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dersh53

State of Pennsylvania - I am employed as an at-will, salaried employee. We are basically a consultancy. Our employee handbook and management requires us to be here 45 hours per week (they specify from 9am to 6pm), which does not include any time built in for lunch. Is this legal? I don't think they can get out of the high-paid executive/exptertise clause, I am one of about 100 consultants that do what I do.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Slightly less than half my workforce is in PA. There is no legal requirement that they provide a break for lunch.

I'm not saying I agree with not permitting a lunch break, but it is not legally required by either state or Federal law.

It is also quite legal to have a required 45 hour work week. The only restrictions placed by the FLSA is that NON-EXEMPT employees receive time and a half for all hours over 40. PA laws are essentially the same. Being exempt means that you cannot have your pay docked if you miss an hour or two here and there, but it does not mean that the employer cannot set specific hours of work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">