• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Requirements Of A Promotion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JOSHR

What is the name of your state?ILLINOIS
I WORK FOR A LOCAL GOVERNMENT. THERE IS A SUPERVISOR POSITION POSTED THAT REQUIRES BOTH A CERTAIN CERTIFICATE AND A COLLEGE DEGREE. OF THE 15 EMPLOYEES ELIGIBLE I WOULD BE THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS BOTH OF THE REQUIREMENTS. THEY WILL BE INTERVIEWING THREE OF US NEXT WEEK. IS THERE A LAW THAT WOULD REQUIRE AN EMPLOYER TO HIRE BASED ON THEIR OWN JOB REQUIREMENTS OR COULD THEY REALLY HIRE SOMEONE WHO DOES NOT MEET THEIR MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS?

HomeGuru

JOSHR said:
What is the name of your state?ILLINOIS
I WORK FOR A LOCAL GOVERNMENT. THERE IS A SUPERVISOR POSITION POSTED THAT REQUIRES BOTH A CERTAIN CERTIFICATE AND A COLLEGE DEGREE. OF THE 15 EMPLOYEES ELIGIBLE I WOULD BE THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS BOTH OF THE REQUIREMENTS. THEY WILL BE INTERVIEWING THREE OF US NEXT WEEK. IS THERE A LAW THAT WOULD REQUIRE AN EMPLOYER TO HIRE BASED ON THEIR OWN JOB REQUIREMENTS OR COULD THEY REALLY HIRE SOMEONE WHO DOES NOT MEET THEIR MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS?

**A: why is it that some government workers never get the message?

pattytx

Josh, there is no law that I know of that requires an employer to follow their own hiring procedures.

And, BTW, please do not type in all caps when posting on the Internet. It is considered shouting and makes your posts very hard to read. I almost didn't bother.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, there is no law that requires an employer to follow their own hiring procedures. Yes, they really could hire someone who does not meet their minimum hiring requirements.

They could also hire someone from the outside. There is also no law that says they have to hire one of what you call the "eligible 15".

Beth3

And another thing to keep in mind, Josh - just because you have the required certificate and a degree does not mean you are qualified for the job. It only means you are qualified to apply for the job.

JOSHR

Thank you all for replying to this thread and yes I do agree that credentials will not get the job - but my concern is that I have spent time and money on acquiring the necessary ones while others have not. The question is not whether or not I deserve getting the promotion but based on my employer's own requirements no one (currently employed) for them except myself is "qualified" (by their standards). Please understand I am not at all bitter for I do have a chance for the position and if I don't get it I have no one to blame but myself. I just think an employer should live up to their own standards and if they decide not to hire me than they should go outside to a candidate who does posses the "right stuff".

pattytx

Josh, none of us are saying your feeling are invalid, or that your employer "should" follow their own hiring and promotion policies. We're just
saying that it is not illegal if they don't.

Good Luck. Hope you get it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">