• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Requiring Church Attendance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danno99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Washington State:

Can a Christian School (K-12) require, as a condition of employment, its teachers to attend a specific church affilliated with the school they are employed by?

A friend of mine is a teacher at a large private christian school here in western Washington. His contract states that they MUST attend the church that founded the school, at least twice a month. He was told that failure to do so will result in his termination. Now I understand that he signed the contract and must abide by its requirements. I guess my question is....is it legal to even make that requirement?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, they can. Religious organizations are permitted to require that their employees be of their religion or at least pay lip service to it. This would not be allowed in another type of organization but it is in this one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">