• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rescind a written offer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

still looking

What is the name of your state? NY

Hello,

I telephoned interviewed for position with a small company last week as a technical analyst. They asked my salary requirements and I said $45-$55 thousand per year over the phone.

Later at the interview they offered me $45,000 and 1 week vacation. I asked for the offer in writing and that I'd think it over. I have a gov't job and when I got home to crunch the numbers and because of my fringe benefits -- the offer doesn't really make sense. I asked for more money and then was denied and then asked for more vacation time since 1 week seems unreasonable. They then withdrew the offer.

Obviously, I wasn't certain about the job ....but what gets me worked up is that this is the 2nd time some small company asked me salary requirements and then tried the "low ball offer." Do I have any legal recourse?

pattytx

Recourse for what? You couldn't come to an agreement? They offered. You negotiated. You couldn't reach an agreement. Next prospective employer.:rolleyes:

mlane58

GEEZ! It was just an offer of employment and you stated yourself after crunching the numbers it wasn't feasible for you to accept. What are you looking for? the Lotto win?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Legal recourse for what? What law do you think they broke? Gimme a break.

If YOU were going to negotiate paying someone, wouldn't YOU start at the low end of the scale?

Boy, talk about an entitlement mentality.

No, you do not have any legal recourse.

still looking

What did I do?

No, I don't have time to waste interviewing people who tell me what their salary requirements are and then to low ball them when in person.

They knew the requirements, yet invited me down to give the the very minimum of my salary requirements -- which would make sense if they were offering: a pension, $34/month health care, early retirement, dental, 5 personal days, 14 sick days, 3-4 weeks vacation like I get now.

I saw nothing like that except 1 week off vacation, expensive Health care and no retirement plan. All that said I would be expecting something closer to the top portion of my salary requirement -- or otherwise why offer me anything? 1 week vacation - what the hell is that?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's one week more than they're required to give you by law.

Nothing you have posted changes anything; you still have no legal recourse.

justalayman

It sounds like you need to learn how to negotiate. You yourself stated your requirements were $45k-$55k annually. They offered you a wage within your request. If you need more, you need to state you need more, simple as that.

When you state a range, additionally you need to qualify the $ amount with letting them know what you expect as a total package. Do not limit your response to $ only. It is the total wage/bene package that is important.

still looking

I did state I needed more orignally.

What am I doing wrong? They made an offer -- it wasn't all that great. Instead of rejecting it -- I just felt I would state what I felt was fair. Otherwise we could revert to the orignal one. Which would have been an ultra difficult decision. I couldn't make my mind up.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You said, what is one weeks vacation?

I said, it is one week more than they are required to offer you by law. They have no legal obligation to offer you ANY vacation.

My point is that no law was violated by offering you less than your bottom line or lower benefits than you feel were appropriate, and no amount of arguing the point is going to make it unlawful.

still looking

OK fair enough. They aren't legally required to offer time off. But you made it sound like I was an ingrate for thinking 1 week vacation wasn't generous. If I were a dishwasher, then yes, I wouldn't expect vacation time off. But for an analyst job, yes I expect the 2 weeks off that everyone gets or a higher salary or something else in return; otherwise the offer isn't good enough to leave my current job.

I never asked if 1 week was legal or not, but if withdrawing a written offer is.

acmb05

The point is when they say what are your salary requirements, instead of just saying 45 to55k you should have stated

45 to 55k plus 3 weeks vacation, 7 days sick time, 401k and if no 401k is offered to be fairly compensated salary wise,and any other thing you wanted.

The company offered you what YOU said was reasonable and even thru in a weeks vacation on top of it.

Personally I think you will find it hard to find a job that matches your Government benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">