• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resigining and rehiring

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dani1009

What is the name of your state?

New Jersey

I was in the academy for a correction officer in 1997 my wife became sick and i resigned i thought i did it properly but later found out i was let go "not in good standing" I was told i needed to appeal it to be put back on the civil service list, I wrote the letter and last month recieved a certification letter from the state to go through the process again for hiring, I am doing that now; I was just told I am now on hold becuase of the way I left in 97, I was under the impression that I was put back on the list becuase I was again eligible, any advice on what I should do next?
Thank you

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Even if you are listed as eligible, that does not compel the employer to rehire you.

dani1009

I understand that and have been kept off the list for about 6 years and then out of no where put back on, I figured they would just keep me off, thanks for your advice though i seem to figure the same

Gadfly

I was told i needed to appeal it to be put back on the civil service list
So do it. Do the appeal get the issue cleared up. (of course you could stay away from civil service and get a real job)

HomeGuru

Gadfly said:
So do it. Do the appeal get the issue cleared up. (of course you could stay away from civil service and get a real job)

**A: he did the appeal and he's now on hold.

dani1009

I have a real job i am a union iron worker for the last 8 1/2 years and did resuce and recovery removing the steel from the trade i make alot more money now then i would being a civil service employee but the winters are not good for work in NJ with the weather, I was just wondering if there was any advice out there on this matter or not, not to be rude

Gadfly

I didn't get that out of the original post. Maybe I'm wrong but if just writing a letter is the entire process. . . It sounded to me like they put him back on the list as a result of his letter but they have not yet done the process. If they have then what's the hold all about. Hey OP, what's the hold all about?

Union = real job?

dani1009

exactly i appealed with letters to dept of personnal and such as a result after 6 years was recertified to be back on the list, this is my point****************************so now after being put back on the list i am trying to find out if this "hold" is appropriate, instead of keeping the ball rolling, anyone who goes to work everyday has a job, to support yourself and family what is the hang up on what people do for a living civil service; union worker or paper pusher as long as people are working and living that all that should matter, sounds like you are bitter, about work maybe????? Thanks for the advice if there was any given.

Gadfly

i am trying to find out if this "hold" is appropriate
There are many reasons an employer could put your application on hold. From trying to determine if in fact change in status is correct, to budget issues that may mean they want you, but they have to wait until the money is approved. Is there anyway you can find out the REASON for the hold. With that information you could determine "appropriate" (remembering that the employer's specific needs outweigh your desires).

dani1009

true, from what I get out of it, they are holding me up becuase of resigning not in good standing so thats where the appeal letters came in, once i was recertified things should go smoothly, I will try to find out more information they don't say much, I know once the not in good standing was lifted thats when I started getting called again it has been quite a few years so I am anxious to know whats going on or if there is anything else I should be doing... thanks for the advice

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">