• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resignation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rplatt

What is the name of your state? Georgia
My brother in law resigned in lieu of termination from a police department in GA. They cited several policy violations related to an arrest he made. His supervisor found nothing wrong with his actions because they were customary even though they were not consistent with policy. Is there any case law that recognizes customs over policy? He never was trained or given a policy manual.

N

nremtb

I'm not sure about case law, but what I do know from all of the postings I have read giving advice and so forth, is that an employer can pretty much do whatever they want, whenever they want, and however they want as long as it doesn't pertain to AGE, SEX, RACE, RELIGION, or DISABILITY.

Beth3

rplatt, your brother not only is a public sector employee, thereby making it difficult to respond to your questions, he is also in law enforcement, making it even more difficult. Municipalities often have a variety of unique rules and regulations along with "due process" considerations for public service employees such as he.

I just don't think anyone here can answer your questions. Your brother will undoubtedly need to talk to a local attorney with experience in these matters.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">