• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resignation Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Newjob

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

This may be the wrong forum to post this and it it is please let me know.

I will be submitting my resignation letter to my employer soon and am curious about some items.
-Is the 2 week notice that is so commonly referred to some sort of legal standard or just courteous practice? I can give more notice but do not know if that is wise or not.
-Is there any requirement to inform them of where I am going or whom I will be working for? I have non-compete in my employment letter but the new job will not compete in any way. None the less I prefer to keep where I am going my own business. Can they force me to reveal?

Thanks

ecmst12

2 week notice is considered "common courtesy" and will increase your chances of getting a positive reference from your current employer. They may also have a policy that your accrued vacation time will be paid out ONLY if you give at least 2 weeks notice, but some companies will pay it out regardless and some won't pay it out ever. Check your employee handbook if you have one.

You can legally give more or less notice, that's up to you. The employer DOES have the option to accept your notice effective as soon as you give it, meaning you could be out of a job for 2 weeks and it will still be considered a voluntary termination (you didn't get fired, you quit). In most cases it wouldn't be wise for them to do it, because they then have no time at all to replace you before you leave, and it's just not very nice, but it does happen. You'll have to consider the atmosphere at your company and what the chances of this happening might be.

You don't have to tell them where you are going. If you're violating the non-compete, I'm sure they have other ways of finding out about it. You may want to tell them generally what you'll be doing or what industry to assure them that the non-compete is being upheld, but as far as company name or anything like that, that's your business.

LeeHarveyBlotto

Absent any kind of contract requiring notice, two weeks is a standard courtesy. The employer is free to accept your notice and let you work the two weeks, end your employment immediately, or anything in between.

There's no requirement to let them know where you're going, but if they are really that interested, they'll find out. More likely is that even if they ask, it's simply idle curiosity rather than any real interest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">