• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resignation refused?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

California

I turned in my two week notice today and my manager said he refused to accept it. I wasn't prepared for that. "Forget two weeks, you're outta here!" is what I was prepared for. "I absolutely refuse to accept your resignation" came out of left field.

So, stupid question here, but does it matter that he won't accept it? Does it mean anything? If it's a useless statement on his part, why make it?

Beth3

So, stupid question here, but does it matter that he won't accept it? No.

Does it mean anything? No.

If it's a useless statement on his part, why make it? Perhaps because he is so upset at your leaving that he was just talking stupid. Or maybe because he thinks if he refuses to accept it, you'll change your mind. It doesn't matter. You're an "at will" employee. You can quit your job any time you like.

Figured as much

This caught me off guard and distracted me from the fact I was leaving. Maybe that's why he did it! :) He probably figures I'm bluffing, using this as a threat to get more money or something.

Thanks Beth!

enjay

I'm such a pessimist...my first thought was the boss isn't bright and is going to fire you tomorrow so he feels like he has/had the upper hand.

Considered that

I thought about that, enjay, but he hates firing people. Has an absolute phobia about it. That and germs... he hates germs.

Anyways, I agree with Beth, he really just doesn't want me to go. He seems to be in denial, as if refusing that little envelope makes the whole thing go away. One way or another he'll realize I'm really leaving and accept it. Or he'll try to tempt me to stay with promises of fame and fortune. Because that's what insurance is all about, after all, fame and hot chicks. :)

(I am a girl, it's just Fame and Hot Studs doesn't sound right)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">