• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resignation rescinded and resignation letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

milehighfraud

Denver, CO

Three weeks ago I spoke with my boss about moving on and it was a very positive talk/outcome. We verbally agreed on a date and he asked for a resignation letter. My father died unexpectedly on May 9th and I never got to the letter. I also decided that now is not the time to add the stress of leaving my job. I spoke with my boss and he agreed that rescinding my resignation was the best plan of action for me and my employer. Of course, news of the entire situation has spread and my boss’s supervisor got involved. I met with him and he said that he will need to speak with HR and few other people to determine if my verbal resignation would have to stand. So, my question is, can they hold me to a verbal resignation?

Also, a co-worker/team member quit and turned in her resignation letter. In the letter she addressed her concerns and complaints. I read the letter and it was constructive- although not something I would do- and to the point. She was told that she needed to change the letter and if she didn't it would reflect badly/have bad consequences on her team. Is this legal?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, it is legal to hold you to a verbal resignation.

There is no statute prohibiting them from asking her to change the letter. What is it they want her to change it to say? That, I think, is the crux of the matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">