• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

resignation and vacation pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Stacy in Florida

fl, i am going to resign from my job and have accrued 40+ vacation hours. will i receive this pay after my resignation? or only upon termination? what is the difference?

help

C

carebearsmom

Not sure about your state law, BUT in most cases when an employee resigns AND give adequate notice, they do received their vacation but not sick pay. In case of termination, some employees are still eligible for vacation. The reason is that you accrue this time, it is not an automatic benefit. You usually have to have been with the company for X period of time and therefore "earn" the pay.

W

wachapp

Hey I have 15 years in Unemployment Claims.

Your question is what is the difference? Terminations are usually for cause, inferring that someone did something wrong willfully and deliberately. Those kinds of acts break the employment contract and thus the employer is under no obligation to honor the terms.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">