• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resignation vs. Termination Issues and Badmouthing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Basket77

What is the name of your state? California

I worked as a salaried management employee of major US corporation for six months. Last December, I was arrested near my home one night for a DUI. This occured during my "off time" and was not in the scope of my employment. Because of my out-of-state driver license and vehicle registration, I was unable to secure release until late the following morning, after the time I was supposed to have reported to work. I called my supervisor as soon as I had access to my cell phone. He told me to take the day off, but to return to work the following day. When I returned to work, I was instructed to resign immediately, that second, or be fired and have a termination on my record. I was given no time to consider any options and was told that I would not be allowed to resign at all unless I did so that very second.

I expressed my concern that a provision of my relocation contract required the repayment of relocation expenses if I resigned within a certain period of time after being hired, and that I didn't know from memory the exact time period specified. My boss told me that this was a legitimate concern and that if I agreed to the immediate resignation, that I would officially remain on the company's books, without compensation, until the repayment agreement was no longer in effect. He would not provide me with a copy of the agreement I had signed for review, however.

I was also instructed that it was company policy to only provide information to future employers confirming my having worked worked there and my resignation, and no performace information. I chose to resign immediately, with my only other choice being to face a termination.

As it turned out, the repayment agreement specified that I had to work with the company for two years and I was contacted by my former employer's collections department shortly after my resignation, demanding over $13,000. To add insult to injury, it has become clear to me that my former supervisor, who I provided as a reference to at least several prospective employers, has violated his company policy, not only providing negative information about me to at least one employer, but has also lied, indicating that I was really fired, not that I resigned.

Nearly six months have passed and I have been unable to secure constructive employment. Do I have any case against my former employer or the supervisor in question?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Very important question:

Are you being called for interviews and then not getting the job after a reference check, or are you not getting called for interviews?

Basket77

Reply to Question

In the cases I make reference to, I interviewed--one interview for one of the positions and multiple interviews for another.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In order to successfully sue your former employer, you would need to show first, that your failure to get either of the jobs is SOLELY due to what they said in the reference check, and second, that what they said was factually incorrect. EVEN IF they said that you were fired, when you consider that a resign-or-be-fired is considered a firing for unemployment purposes, it's going to be difficult for you to show that prong of the fork, EVEN IF you can show that but for what they said, you would unquestionably have gotten the job.

Basket77

Response

Well it sounds to me like they are trying to have it both ways. If a resign-or-be-fired scenario is technically a firing, then I don't see how they can claim I owe the $13,000--the relocation agreement only specified repayment in the event of resignation. If they are claiming I do owe it because they are considering my departure a resignation, then they have no grounds to tell my potential employers that I was fired. I can't imagine that they can legally have it both ways. It seems to me that their actions could possibly be construed as intentionally malicious--purposely trying to make it the "worst of both worlds" for me. I believe the reason for this would be that I described, in detail, the actions of my supervisor regarding his demand for resignation when I wrote the corporate offices to refute their $13,000 claim. What are your thoughts?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That you need to take the relocation agreement to an attorney in your state and see if it is enforceable under the circumstances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">