• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resigned during Investigation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

texas_fmj

Texas is the state. So basically, I used to work for a large telecommunications company. ATT to be exact. I had no issues throughout my employment except some minor action plans etc. and when I told my manager that I was going to go into the Navy Reserves and that I was going to be gone for about 5 months for training. Things turned for the worse. I was then subject to harassment. I started getting these "anonymous" ethic complaints etc. and then was told about a month before I shipped out to training that I was being investigated. I told my manager that I was not about to compromise the investment I made with the company by getting fired for something I didnt do. I was told I could just resign with my two week notice and use my vacation before I shipped out. I did just that. Now it seems that when other employers are calling to reference them, which happens to be a 3 year employment reference, they are being told that I resigned during investigation. This makes me look really bad. Can they disclose these specifics even though nothing ever came of this investigation? This is affecting my ability to get another position? I have already attempted to contact them and they told me that it wouldnt be changed because I did "resign during an investigation" even though the investigation was never deemed legitimate. They have no signatures by myself or coachings on this supposed issue prior. Is there any thing I can do to have them change this to just "resigned?" or can they continue to tell them "resigned during investigation" Any advice would be nice.

terminated

yea your in a bind, only thing you can really do is during the hiring process try to explain yourself before hand of the prior situation.

justalayman

or go back to the former employer and seek to appease them so they will alter their reporting to something more conducive to your hiring process.

xylene

You did resign during an investigation.

The companies investigation does not need to be vetted or agreed to by you.

The bottom line - when it comes to finding work you need to explain the reality that you left the job to join the Navy so obviously the investigation would never be finished.

commentator

What you did was basically what you said you did not want to do, which was compromise your time with the company --- by resigning instead of making them go through a termination process which they probably wouldn't have done anyway. They knew that if you went into the Naval reserve, they would have to pay part of your unemployment insurance when you came back. They knew that if you voluntarily quit, they wouldn't have any such liability or requirements. So they faked you out. It is always, well, almost always better to make them terminate you instead of resigning. Because if they do not have a good reason, then you certainly are in a much more defensible position. Up and resigning makes it sound a bit more like they are investigating something you have really done and you chose to cut and run instead of arguing with them about it.

Agree very much with Xylene, what you can do is say you resigned when you were about to enter the Naval reserve, and they chose to paint it in a different light.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">