• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resigned, have company assets, they owe me a check, I'm holding the assets...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phatasswj

What is the name of your state? Company in TX, I'm in IL

I recently resigned from a regional sales position with a company located in Texas. My regional position was in the state of IL (not sure if IL law would apply here since the employment contract was signed in TX).

The company owes me approx. $2k in unpaid partial salary and travel expenses (mileage, etc). I presently have a few thousand dollars worth of their equipment in my posession that they would like me to return.

Their plan is for me to return their assets, then they'll "send me a check." The issue is, however, that they are well-known for getting their assets back, then telling the employee to get lost.

As such, I've notified them that I'll be withholding their equipment until I receive my reimbursement check. My question is this, does jurisdiction in Texas, or for that matter, the federal level, allow for them to withhold pay until they receive their assets?

Thanks -

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. But it also doesn't allow you to hold their assets until you receive your pay. In some circles, that's called stealing.

mlane58

Yea and after he is in jail for theft, he can spend the monies owed him on his girlfriend in the next cell.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">