• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resigned, Repayment for Relo Demand, No Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srwright66

What is the name of your state? Texas

A little background so you can understand the events. Kinda long.

I was working in Florida and offered a position in Texas. Company flew me out for interview, I left that day with an offer letter. Offer included salary, relocation fees of $5,000 and the start date of employment. The generously allowed me to give 30 days notice in Florida. During the interview I asked if I would be under contract.The answer was NO.

I gave my notice in Florida and accepted the offer. I contacted the new company and asked for an advance on the relocation money. They agreed and sent 1/2 of it with a letter stating that if I did not report to work within 5 days of my start date, I would have to immediately repay the relocation fee that was being advanced.

In the original offer letter there was no mention of repayment of relocation fee at all, nor any minimum length of employment. I showed up to work on the scheduled date.

Within days of starting, recruiters where calling, I turned them all down and explained I had just started a new position. After a couple of weeks things were not so great at this company, unethical and improper use of public "interests" was rampant. It was bothering me so badly I was making myself physically ill on a daily basis. I was contacted by a company I had previously applied to over a year ago. I agreed to an interview. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

On my 2 month anniversary I gave a resignation letter and accepted their offer. I only gave a 1 week notice. Today was my last day. Everything has been smooth all week, until yesterday. One of the executives in our office asked to speak with me.

The exec asked what they could do to keep me, I informed him there was nothing. Then he asked if the new company was going to reimburse them their relo fees they gave me.

I told him it was never discussed nor had it crossed my mind because we didn't have a contract and there was no stipulation in the offer. I started thinking about it last night. They did put out a lot on me and I really don't want to leave on a bad note.

I went in today and offered to help with a major project on my own time after work at my new job and on Saturdays at my expense so they would be able to be up and running on this priority. I wanted him to feel they were still getting some value out of what they paid out. He said he would think about it.

Today I turned in all my stuff (phone,supplies,etc). He emailed me a note that said thanks for the offer but they wanted to cut all ties and have a clean break. I said ok and went home.

On my way home he called and asked me to come back. They had my expense check for me. So I did. When I got there he pulled out a letter for me to sign.

The letter demanded reimbursement of relo fees and stated if I did not repay they would give me a bad reference (my job performance is impeccable & I gave 125% everyday). He verbally told me they would collect later on down the road. The letter also stated they did not give me consent to look for new employment. What the &#$#?? I didn't know I had to ask for permission. It also said I was very unprofessional for continueing to look for employment after accepting their offer. He was very angry I only gave them 1 week notice. I reminded him that Texas was "at will" and asked if he would have given me 2 weeks if he was gonna fire me?

He told me I basically used them to get in the Texas job market. Not true, I had a good job and had left Texas 2 years prior to move to Florida.

He demanded I sign the letter, I told him NO. This went back and forth, finally I got mad and wrote across the letter I DO NOT AGREE! and initialed next to it. I walked out.

Please help. Am I gonna need an attorney?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">