• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resigning instead of being fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

paver1960

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I was given a 30 day to notice to improve my work or face additional consequences including termination. Let's say I decide to resign under duress on day 29 and give a 3 week notice.

Would the employer be obligated to keep me for 3 more weeks or to pay me for 3 weeks if they let my go on day 30.

Again, they haven't said I will be terminated on day 30 but rather it's an option they have.

The issues surrounding my warning notice center on health concerns which I'll address on the Discrimination board.

Thank you

P

paver1960

Re: resigning

Ok, thank you.

Certainly, it's up to the employer to accept or reject the resignation as it was offered but what if the offer and its terms are not accepted by my employer and I am subsequently asked to leave immediately.

Wouldn't the actions of my employer purporting to end the relationship on terms other than those offered by me be tantamount to a termination without just cause?

H

hexeliebe

That's a question for Unemployment Comensation hearing judges, NOT for a court of law.

In essence, unless you are a member of a protected group under federal law, the employer can fire you for just about anything, even if your sideburns are too long, you are bowlegged or he/she just doesn't like you.

Beth3

"Wouldn't the actions of my employer purporting to end the relationship on terms other than those offered by me be tantamount to a termination without just cause?" Your employer does not need just cause to terminate you.

You can be terminated for any reason except a specifically prohibited one. As you're apparently on thin ice with your employer, it wouldn't be surprising if they decided to accept your resignation immediately but no one here can predict what they will do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">