• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resigning with No Notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gottogetout

What is the name of your state?I Live in Michigan
I have recently had to take a significant pay cut at my job due to company economical stress. I told my employer that I would accept that and begin looking for other work, my boss informed me that if I were to find another job they will not be replacing me. She was supportive and said that she would write me a recommendation letter. I have since asked for the letter with no receipt.
My "superiors" are not aware that I am very (hopefully) close to getting an offer on another job and I am wondering if I am required to give 2 weeks notice.
I am an At-Will employee. It does however say in my the employee handbook (that I signed to acknowledge receipt) that I am "required to give 2 weeks notice upon resignation"
I cannot fathom working 2 more weeks in this position, for the meger pay and constant unprofessional lunacy that I have to put up with. This is a very small company with only 4 employees, including the owners and myself.
Can I resign without giving notice?

pattytx

Of course, you can quit with no notice, just like the employer could fire you with no notice. However, when prospective employers do reference checks or employment verifications, they do not look kindly upon not giving notice; they very well may think that you would do that to them as well. Also, you may lose some benefits, such as payment of accrued vacation, if the company policy requires that you give such notice or you will forfeit the payment (I haven't checked Michigan law, though, to see if this is allowed).

I hope you get the new position. If you do, however, I would strongly recommend sucking it up and giving the two weeks notice. It's very possible that if you will not be replaced, the company will accept your resignation immediately, which appears to be the best of both worlds in your mind.

Beth3

Yes, you can resign without giving two weeks notice. You can walk out the door any time you like. Your employer could make payment of certain benefits (such as vacation) upon separation conditional on giving two weeks notice but they cannot force you to stay and work for those two weeks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">