• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

resigning from position=paycut?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

justwondering2

about 8 months ago i wrote a letter of resignation due to not enough pay. i was given a raise on the condition i didn't quit and promoted with an additional raise. the position required full time but i was allowed to remain part-time by the then district manager and general manager. both are no longer there and i will soon resign from the position i was promoted to due to unavailablilty and that would also mean being demoted. i will however, remain working with the company. can my resignation/demotion affect the raise i received when i was promoted? i was told by our new general manager that it was up to the new district manager what my pay would now become. the district manager said that i would lose the pay i received because less responsiblities = less pay and if i do keep my pay i would not get my yearly review raise. can they do that? i live in illinois. i thought your pay could only be taken away on the condition that the demotion was a result of disiplinary action. am i right?

L

loku

Unfortunately, unless you have an employment contract, the employer has the legal right to reduce your pay or take away raises.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">