• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Responsibility to pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

QuestionToAsk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

This may be long, so bear with me. I worked for a store and knew that another employee had taken merchandise. I chose not to tell the manager. Loss Prevention came in and the manager as well as the keyholders (me) were interviewed. I was asked if I knew of anyone taking anything and I told them about this girl. The man from LP told me that I was just as responsible for what had happened because I didn't tell on her before; fair enough. I understand this. He then made me write a statement admitting that I knew she took the merchandise and that I owed the company X amount (the total of the stolen items). I realize now that I should not have signed this, but at the time I just didn't know what else to do; I was not about to argue with him. Please note that I never took anything, and I only knew that she had taken something because she told me. I never saw her physically put anything in a bag, etc. I did see her wear one item on occasion. He also told me, however, that I shouldn't worry about it and that she would be responsible for paying for what was taken. After the session he asked me to leave and told me that someone would call me about what was to happen. A week and a half later I received a letter from the company stating that I had been terminated as of the date I had talked to LP. I realize why they did this, and I thought that was that. Well, two weeks later I received another letter asking that I pay the company the money that I stated I owed them. This amount, however, was for the merchandise the other girl took. I wrote a letter back stating that while I realized what I did was wrong, I did not feel I was monetarily responsible for paying for what she took and that losing my job was punishment enough. Two weeks after sending this letter the company sends me yet another one saying that, while they feel I still owe the whole amount, they will be reasonable and take half. I have been in contact with the girl who took the items and she says that she received a letter aas well and paid for what was taken. Am I responsible for paying this? How can they try to get money from two people for what one person took, especially if they have already received payment for it? If you're still with me, thank you for reading. I just don't know what to do.

Last edited:

pattytx

Ignore the letters. If you are sued, get an attorney. It's likely the value will not be worth them spending the money to sue you. Are they suing the person who stole the merchandise?

QuestionToAsk

Hi, thanks for your response. They are not as far as I know. I just want to put all this behind me...The last letter said that if I didn't pay they would resort to a collection agency to get the money. But I just don't see how they can try to get compensation from me when I am not the one who stole anything, and the girl has supposedly already sent money to them for what she took.

pattytx

Let 'em. If you get a letter from a collection agency, write back that this is not your debt, you dispute it, and send a copy to all three major credit reporting bureaus. They're probably just blowing smoke to see if you'll bite.

QuestionToAsk

I hope it doesn't go that far...but I considered, too that they may just be trying to get money where they can, especially since they sent me another letter saying that they would take half the previous amount. Why even send a letter like that? Can they make me pay it, though since I signed the statement? I only did so because I do realize I should have told someone, but I can't make someone stop doing what they're going to do.

pattytx

They can't "make" you pay unless they sue you, win and get a judgment, and proceed to try to collect the judgment. If you are sued, I would claim coercion relative to the letter (you're right, you shouldn't have signed it); did they imply that if you signed it, you might not be fired? Might work, it might not. I honestly doubt it will go any further; it's just not worth their time or money.

QuestionToAsk

In the first letter I got asking for money it said if it did go to court I would be responsible for paying all costs so they may decide to do that, even though the original amount was only $120 and then they requested only $60. The day I was interviewed I just remember the LP guy saying "Now don't you think you are responsible for paying the company this money? And do you realize that they can take you to court and press charges against you? Or they could just accept that you are sorry and forgive you." Then I had to write a letter of apology to the company and sign the statement he had written. As naive as it is to admit, he made me think I might get to keep my job. Also, it was only him and I in the room when I was interviewed, but when he was done he had our district manager come in and sign the statement that I had signed like he had been there all along. I mean he explained the situation to him and everything but he was not in the room when I was being questioned. The LP guy was even like, "This doesn't make you a bad person. Don't you feel better now that you've told?". I just don't want to pay because I feel like if I do it's like admitting guilt to taking something, and I did not.

pattytx

I wouldn't pay them one red cent. It's going to cost more than $60 (or even $120) in their time and money to even file a small claims case. Ignore them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">