• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Responsible for the money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

applesinstereo

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? North Carolina.

I work the front desk of a hotel. Usually guests pay with credit cards, but sometimes they choose to pay with cash. When this happens, I am supposed to put the cash in an envelope, mark the envelope, and slip the envelope through a slot in our safe. On Sunday morning, a guest paid $157 in cash to me, and I did exactly as I was supposed to. I am 100% positive I put the money in the safe.

The next day (yesterday), they didn't see the money in the safe. Nowhere to be found. They immediately contacted me about it and they looked everywhere and I looked everywhere for it. Nowhere. I was pretty frustrated with the whole deal but I didn't get completely bent ouf of shape about it, because I figured I would receive a written warning and would simply have to be more careful about dropping money in the safe (have a witness present every time).

Wrong. Today I received a notice as soon as I came into work today that I need to pay for the loss out of my next paycheck. All of it. The document stated that I need to pay the $157 that was misplaced or I would be terminated immediately.

Important things to note:
  • There is one camera in the front desk area, but 1. It does not actually record, it only shoots and displays on a television in my manager's office, 2. The camera does not point at the safe.
  • My company's policy states that I am responsible for cash variances during my shift. However, it could not be proven that the money was lost during my shift. It is entirely feasible that I dropped the money correctly, but when my manager opened the safe to retrieve the money, he took it and misplaced it or otherwise. Thus, the money technically could have gotten lost at any time.

So, my question is: Am I legally responsible to pay for this loss?

Beth3

Your employer cannot make this deduction from your paycheck without your authorization. If they follow through with this, contact your State's Department of Labor and file a complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">