• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restrictive Covenant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

allen_mh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I am a consultant that had signed a contract prior to my hiring 12 years ago. In that contract, it states that I cannot "...for a period of 12 months after termination of employment with employer, in any manner, whether with or without cause, employee will not work, directly or indirectly for any client or former client that s/he has worked or interviewed at as ane employee of COMPANY, unless mutually agreed upon in writing by employer and employee.

This contract was signed by myself two months prior to starting with the COMPANY. The COMPANY has subsequently been sold three separate times and is now a small division within a very large company.

The above is the only contract that I ever signed with the COMPANY, so one of my questions is this: Is the contract still valid after so many acquisitions and no subsequent new contracts?

The second question is this: The COMPANY has stopped paying me, but they are still providing health care benefits. I have agreed to be hired by a former client that I had worked for while working for the COMPANY. Can the COMPANY legally prevent me from being employed by the former client when I'm no longer being paid by the COMPANY?

mlane58

We can't comment on something we haven't read. You need to consult with a local attorney well versed in contract law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">