• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restructuring Means Lost Job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Warminwisco

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My wife worked for a company for almost 3 years and she was met and walked out of the office without notice for good unexpectedly and is looking for work and getting Unemployment.(When unemployment contacted the employer they did not give a reason for the termination or even reply for that matter)

Here is the catch, the company had an all company conference call and said they where restructuring 2 weeks prior. I understand unless it is for harrassment,age or something of real note in Wisconsin she has no recourse, but does the restructuring conference call open up any doors to severence pay(she got none and had no signed contract of any real benefit) or andy type of recourse.

Just 2 days prior she was told she was doing a fine job, was meeting all her quotas but she had a very high salary, prolly the highest "regular worker" in the company at like 83k for a nurse case manager. Job was posted a month later and is still unfilled. Thanks for any replys, Happy New Year!

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My wife worked for a company for almost 3 years and she was met and walked out of the office without notice for good unexpectedly and is looking for work and getting Unemployment.(When unemployment contacted the employer they did not give a reason for the termination or even reply for that matter)

Here is the catch, the company had an all company conference call and said they where restructuring 2 weeks prior. I understand unless it is for harrassment,age or something of real note in Wisconsin she has no recourse, but does the restructuring conference call open up any doors to severence pay(she got none and had no signed contract of any real benefit) or andy type of recourse.

Just 2 days prior she was told she was doing a fine job, was meeting all her quotas but she had a very high salary, prolly the highest "regular worker" in the company at like 83k for a nurse case manager. Job was posted a month later and is still unfilled. Thanks for any replys, Happy New Year!

The company is not legally obliged to offer her any severance pay at all.

They're allowed to let her go during a restructure.

Warminwisco

So there are no state by state laws that notice has to be given in a restucturing situation? Maybe I am thinking of plant closures where they have to give the state notice or something.

Proserpina

So there are no state by state laws that notice has to be given in a restucturing situation? Maybe I am thinking of plant closures where they have to give the state notice or something.

Even if there were, it wouldn't mean your wife would be entitled to a severance unless your wife had a contract addressing the issue.

Warminwisco

Thanks very much, she is lucky and has a pretty good job hopefully getting lined up. The Holidays is not the best time to look for work though as everything is put off until the new year. Relax enjoy the time off I tell her!

Proserpina

Thanks very much, she is lucky and has a pretty good job hopefully getting lined up. The Holidays is not the best time to look for work though as everything is put off until the new year. Relax enjoy the time off I tell her!

What a great husband, too!

Go hug your wife, keep up that attitude and have a most wonderful and joyous New Year! :)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Has your wife reapplied for the job she had?

Warminwisco

yes she is pretty lucky to have me by her side.....LOL.

Why do you ask if she should reapply for the job? Should she! Thanks again.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
yes she is pretty lucky to have me by her side.....LOL.

Why do you ask if she should reapply for the job? Should she! Thanks again.
Really?

Doesn't it seem logical that she would be the most qualified person for the job?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She could have been restructured out of the job because they omitted more than one person in her position, were decreasing the salary of the position, or for various other reasons that had nothing to do with her ability to do the job but rather the COMPANY decided to do a straight cut across the board. She would be qualified for said job.

commentator

There is a federal law that requires that employees be given 60 days notice of a major closure or lay off, IF there are more than 100 employees in the company and who will be affected by the restructuring/closure/mass lay off situation. Unfortunately, this group of laws, called the WARN statutes, are very seldom enforced. Companies that want to do it can do it, and those that do not, well, it's rarely enforced, as I said. Some states even have more stringent WARN statutes, that more than 50 employees require the notice. But that would not apply, it sounds like, in your wife's situation. So yes, they can do this to her, without notice, just before the holidays. And they do not really have to give a reason, or give her a chance to reapply for the position. Unemployment benefits is as good as it gets in this situation. Severance isn't required anywhere in this situation. It'd be nice, but is definitely not required.

Warminwisco

Update, they hired someone for her job with actually no case management experience and is not an occupational health nurse(like the other 3 nurses left who liked my wife alot) so I assume it was all to just save money. My wife now has more action after the new year so she hopefully will be hired after her 4th interview now with a fortune 500 company in our community. I plan on a nice tidy little e mail chain to all listed on the website including the higher up that walked her out without even a notice. No slander just pointed facts and the more I talk to her this company is just laughable. Noone has gotten raises in 10 years since they started this company up, they mail people trinkets like mugs and chocalates versus raises. There big motto is a "Woman started woman run company". I plan on ending it with "where did you learn to walk people out in front of there peers with no notice and even days earlier praise just before the holidays" Your parents, Your God or just yourself, and is this what you teach your children( we where invited to their home last Xmas on a golf course and even met their kids). "We really will pray for you."

Mind you she was told she would be handling 40-50 back to work work comp files and at one time she had 117 files to manage when they walked the last person out just like this with no notice, good grief!!

Proserpina

Update, they hired someone for her job with actually no case management experience and is not an occupational health nurse(like the other 3 nurses left who liked my wife alot) so I assume it was all to just save money. My wife now has more action after the new year so she hopefully will be hired after her 4th interview now with a fortune 500 company in our community. I plan on a nice tidy little e mail chain to all listed on the website including the higher up that walked her out without even a notice. No slander just pointed facts and the more I talk to her this company is just laughable. Noone has gotten raises in 10 years since they started this company up, they mail people trinkets like mugs and chocalates versus raises. There big motto is a "Woman started woman run company". I plan on ending it with "where did you learn to walk people out in front of there peers with no notice and even days earlier praise just before the holidays" Your parents, Your God or just yourself, and is this what you teach your children( we where invited to their home last Xmas on a golf course and even met their kids). "We really will pray for you."

Mind you she was told she would be handling 40-50 back to work work comp files and at one time she had 117 files to manage when they walked the last person out just like this with no notice, good grief!!

Do yourself, and your wife, a favor.

Do NOT send that email.

Warminwisco

Oh ya I forgot to add the head medical director for all the US is flying in to interview her again, versus Skype this week so please pray for us and the Packers also tonight. We got a bunch of money, both in healthcare, but every bodies got bills and she really is a great nurse, person and wife and did not deserve this!! A fortune 500 company, listed as a top company to work for who values its employes and demands alot out of them awaits I hope.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">