• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

retaliation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TRAPS21

What is the name of your state? IL

My colleague has recently filed a 15 page document of dated complaints and incidents she has had with her immediate supervisor. She also has 50+ pages of e-mails that back the complaints that have been made by her and the employees under her supervision. All of this has been submitted the the HR dept. of her company. Is she in danger of any retaliatory action if she is not supported by her fellow employess in her statements? She is worried that she is sticking her neck out and then people will not back her for fear of losing their jobs when push comes to shove. What are your thoughts?

LeeHarveyBlotto

Assuming there's no employment contract or she doesn't belong to a union, she's an at-will employee and can be fired legally for almost any reason or for no reason at all.

What is the general nature of her complaints?

TRAPS21

I don't know the details but, in a nutshell, she feels his negligenge of duty, degrading demeanor, and sexist views and comments are detrimental to the company and employees

mitousmom

There is always the danger of retaliation when an employee complains. However, if she complained about illegal behavior under the federal EEO laws or some other law with retaliation provisions, it would be illegal for her employer to retaliate because of her complaints.

I hope that some of the emails containing the complaints are from some of her subordinates.

TRAPS21

As far as I know the e-mails are a combination of things she has received from her employees regarding the matter and her supervisor.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What, if any, protection under the law she may have will depend on the nature of the complaints.

TRAPS21

Mnay have to do with his sexist, dictator-like managment style and his belittling of employees and management under him. He also has a problem because my colleague is pregnant. He feels she can't/won't be able to do her job when she has done it before with her first pregnancy.

Keep the thoughts coming.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Still not really enough detail to say for certain. But what her co-workers will or will not do is far less important than what management does. Before getting too bent out of shape about whether her co-workers will back her, what about just waiting to see what management does? For all anyone here knows, they'll take her complaint seriously and she won't have anything to worry about.

seniorjudge

Mnay have to do with his sexist, dictator-like managment style and his belittling of employees and management under him. He also has a problem because my colleague is pregnant. He feels she can't/won't be able to do her job when she has done it before with her first pregnancy.

Keep the thoughts coming.
These are conclusions.

If you cannot up with some FACTS then you don't have a case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">