• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retaliation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michellelthomps

What is the name of your state Washingotn DC My reason for claiming wrogful termination was because in December of 2008, I was called as a witness in an investigaion for the boss by corporate human resources. After that investigation my immidiate supervisor started harrassing me, thus sending emails and treating me very badly by trying to write me up 3 times and none of them stuck. I then contacted the corporate office because I felt that this was happening because I was a witness, and we have a no reataliation policy. An investgation was done and I was never contacted with the findings of that investigation. To answer your question no I did not cost the company any monies, actually I made money for the company. My GM just had it out for me.

In October of this year, The vendor which we use sent a bill that was $2,000 more that I had alloted for his cost. I then wrote a memo to my boss to review the bill which clearly shows what I was saying was true. My supervisor two weeks later tried to write me up at this time I expressed that I want to use the "Open Door Policy". Once I spoke with corporate HR again se said that she would contact me on the 7th of December. I never heard back from her. On the 14th of Decemer, I was placed on suspension and the 17th terminated. I assure you I have been working in this business for over 7 yrs. and I know what I did was correct. The GM because of my being a witness disregarded the evidence and terminated me.

Thank you.
U.S. law)?

mlane58

What is the name of your state Washingotn DC My reason for claiming wrogful termination was because in December of 2008, I was called as a witness in an investigaion for the boss by corporate human resources. After that investigation my immidiate supervisor started harrassing me, thus sending emails and treating me very badly by trying to write me up 3 times and none of them stuck. I then contacted the corporate office because I felt that this was happening because I was a witness, and we have a no reataliation policy. An investgation was done and I was never contacted with the findings of that investigation. To answer your question no I did not cost the company any monies, actually I made money for the company. My GM just had it out for me.

In October of this year, The vendor which we use sent a bill that was $2,000 more that I had alloted for his cost. I then wrote a memo to my boss to review the bill which clearly shows what I was saying was true. My supervisor two weeks later tried to write me up at this time I expressed that I want to use the "Open Door Policy". Once I spoke with corporate HR again se said that she would contact me on the 7th of December. I never heard back from her. On the 14th of Decemer, I was placed on suspension and the 17th terminated. I assure you I have been working in this business for over 7 yrs. and I know what I did was correct. The GM because of my being a witness disregarded the evidence and terminated me.

Thank you.
U.S. law)?
How do you know the GM disregarded any evidence due you being a witness 1 year earlier?

Michellelthomps

I know he disregarded the information because eventhough the evidence proves that the company overcharged us, I was still terminated.

What would you call it if he stated that the reason for my termination was miscommunication and I cost the compy $6,000 when the evidence proves that to be false?

eerelations

1. A termination for an incorrect reason is not a wrongful termination in law. A wrongful termination in law would be a termination for an illegal reason, such as one based on the terminated individual's race, gender, age (if the individual is over 40), religion or disability. Your termination falls into the incorrect reason category, not the illegal termination category.

2. Many forms of harassment are perfectly legal. For harassment to be illegal it must be based on things like race, gender, age, religion or disability. Nothing in any of your posts indicates that the harassment you've suffered was based on any of these things. As a result, the harassment was legal.

3. Not all retaliatory acts by employers are illegal. Employer retaliation is only illegal if it's against employees who report the employer's illegal activities to outside agencies such as the police or government regulatory bodies. All I can see in your posts is that you reported legal harassment to an internal department (HR). This is not a protected activity.

4. Locking your posts after receiving accurate information that isn't to your personal liking will not change the fact that the information you've been provided is an accurate and true reflection of the employment laws you're inquiring about.

eerelations

Only if you can show that they harassed and fired you specifically because you are an african american womam who is over the age of 40. That would be illegal.

If they harassed and fired you for practically any other reason under the sun, then no, that would not be illegal.

Michellelthomps

let's say in my department there were two Sr. Catering Salesmanager, one black and one middle eastern. let's say not distrubiting the work equally, does not him trying to constantly write me up prove harrassment. I am sorry then what is a harrassment free work place? what does it mean in the hand book on no tollerance for harrassment for using the open door policy. I am so confused.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It takes more than simply BEING of different race to prove illegal harassment/discrimination. If requested by an investigating agency, could you show evidence that your treatment was BECAUSE you were of a different race?

It is quite, quite legal to treat employees differently on the basis of their job title, their skill set, their length of tenure with the company, their experience, their department, which supervisor they work for (i.e. it is not illegal for Bob to manage his employees more strictly than Doug does), their education, how hard it would be to replace them, or any other characteristic not specifically prohibited by law.

Michellelthomps

senior manager, thank you. You are really giving me great insight. If I have a case that is great, if not oh well.

What kind of world do we live in when we have rules for certain people. I followed the employee manaual to the letter and yet I was terminate. I can live with not working their anymore. I just feel that I have be a stellar employee for over 7 years. I do feel that I am entitled to my PTO hours. I am a capable employee, but just really feel wronged, can you underestand that.

Do you have any suggestions of how I could collect my PTO?

Thank You.

Michellelthomps

also, I was employed with the company before the other employee. I am more experienced and more educated than the other employee. This is a case a retaliation, now whether it is legal or not, I know the truth and if I had money, I am sure an attorney would take the case and win. It just shows that we are all not treated equally.

moburkes

also, I was employed with the company before the other employee. I am more experienced and more educated than the other employee. This is a case a retaliation, now whether it is legal or not, I know the truth and if I had money, I am sure an attorney would take the case and win. It just shows that we are all not treated equally.
Of course we're not all treated equally. I'm sure it didn't take you 49 years to realize that. If your case were that open-and-shut you wouldn't need money for the attorney.

Michellelthomps

you seem to be very knowleable. Thank you for taking the time to speak with me. I am just so frustrated, and you are right if it was a open and shut case, I wouldn't need an attorney.

Happy Holidays!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">