• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retaliation b/c they think I'm a whistle blower

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SnowLife

CALIFORNIA

I posted this same topic in the defimation area also as I'm not sure what category this fits. Sorry if that confuses things.

California

I left my former employer on good terms with the option to be rehired. Another former employee turned them in for software piracy. My former employer believes it was me who did this. I got an email from my old boss today saying that if I am seen on the property, I will be "removed by security." I used to work at a ski resort, that's why I'd be there. This email brought some more things to light. I have been looking for a job lately and in the past I was always hired if interviewed. I've had multiple interviews that went excellent. A few days later I would get a call saying that there were some "issues" and was denied the job despite a great interview and being overqualified. It seems that they are most likely saying defamatory things about me in retaliation. I'm waiting to hear back from a guy I interviewed with to see if this indeed was the case. I have a job now b/c I knew someone that worked there. I think b/c of this they didn't call my former employer. This delayed me in getting a job for many months. I should also add that right after I left my job info about why I left was posted on the company's public forum by my old boss. I didn't see it but have many witnesses that emailed me about it.

Should I sue? What would I be awarded in damages? Have they broken any state or federal laws? Their remarks threaten to destroy my reputation in the snow industry in which I still do business in.

Thanks for any advice, I appreciate it.
Edit/Delete Message

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether or not any laws have been broken, whether or not you have a case to sue, and what, if anything, you would be awarded in damages (sorry, no one here has an operating crystal ball) depends entirely upon EXACTLY what has been said and to whom. Contrary to popular belief, it is not illegal to give a negative reference. It is only illegal to give an untrue reference. So if they said, Snowlife was fired because we believe she reported us (correctly or incorrectly) for software piracy, you have no case because you WERE fired because they believe you turned them in for software piracy. Likewise if they say something along the lines of, "we were dissatisfied with the way Snowlife handled thus and so" unless you have valid and supportable proof that they WERE satisfied with the way you handled thus and so, you have no case because for them to state their honest opinion is protected. On the other hand, if they say, Snowlife was fired for stealing, THEN you may have a case because you were not fired for stealing.

SnowLife

I wasn't fired. I quit long before the software piracy issues. I do photoshoots on the mtn and they know this. They are in affect "punishing" me because they think I turned them in. On a side note, they operate under permit from the US forest service. Can a private company keep me off public land?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If they are in control of the land, (caretakers, etc.) yes, they can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">