• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retaliation for EEOC complaint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Worrier

My friend and I filed an EEOC complaint for wage discrimination approximately 3 years ago with the EEOC. The EEOC gave us a right to sue letter but the expense of an attorney was going to be too much for us to handle, so we dropped the complaint. Recently, our I.S. department was outsourced to another IT company and our department was not included (this included appr 12 employees). However, our management placed everyone but four of us. Needless to say my friend and myself lost our jobs. We had 18 and 19 years with the company and it is obvious to all of our coworkers that management never got over us filing the complaint. I have called the EEOC to see if we can file on retaliation but our case worker doesn't seem to have enough concern to return the phone calls.
The company kept employees in jobs my friend and I could've easily done - people who had been there only a few months. There's no doubt why we were 'eliminated'. Also, performance was excellent and immediate supervisors would testify to that if necessary. They didn't understand the way it was handled. We are not union and were salaried exempt employees. The company has publicly stated they would never lay off.

Do we have any recourse at all?

M

Marcia M

YOU BET YOU DO!

It also sounds like possible age discrimination.

Interview a couple of employment lawyers and get their advice. It may cost you money up front, but the lawyers might well work on a combination of reduced fes and a contingency if they are successful!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">