• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retaliatory Termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elric23

What is the name of your state? CA
My company was in the process of settling a class action suit in CA regarding exempt/non-exempt status for managers. All the members of mgmnt in Ca were to receive $75/wk for each week from 1999-2004. So far, so good.
The company's solution for the future is to reclassify all asst/exec. asst mgr's as hourly employees. At a multi district meeting we were informed a. we would not be getting a pay cut. b. Instead of the 45hrs/wk we had been required to work we would now be required to work 52hrs/wk (40reg+12OT).
Previously my hourly rate was $15.00/hr (40reg+5OT) now my hourly wage was to be $12.40/hr. I noted this was a pay cut to be informed that since our pay was to remain the same it was not a pay cut. We were also informed that there would be no retaliation against anyone filing for the class benefits as the company had already set aside the funds. (Untrue-provision in settlement returns unclaimed funds to Corp). Iwas not a happy camper and proceeded to contact other members of mgmt in CA and to draft letters to HQ regarding unfairness. I also suggested to my immediate supervisor that I was considering resigning.
Shortly thereafter I was terminated for misconduct. My actions merited a warning at most, and many far more serious incedents with other mgrs resulted in warnings.(There was no damage done to employer/no funds involved)
I just received notice that I have been determined inelegible for unemployment benefits. Sorry for the length. My questions
1. Does selective enforcement as a defense work?
2. Should I contact the appropriate state agency re. retaliatory termination?
Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">