• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Retroactively" fired during contract position.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

comptech

Greetings,

I was recently hired by a computer store as their "on site service" technician. I was sent out on a job that would last approximately two weeks.

The first day of the job was July 27th. I worked the on site job the 27th, and the rest of the next week. Yesterday, saturday the 4th of August, I received a letter stating that I was fired as of Monday the 30th of July. Meaning I had worked a full business week while I was terminated.

My questions are:

Who pays me for my time spent working that week?
The company that I was "On Site" for offered to pay for my time.
If they do so, does my ex employer have any legal recourse against me?

Do I have any legal recourse against them for firing me while I was "away" on a job?

I ask because the only contact I received from them was that letter. NO phone call telling me NOT to finish the job, etc.

Help!

CompTech (MCSE2K, CCNE, A+, Network+)

L

loku

Who pays me for my time spent working that week?
The computer store hired you and sent you on a job that they said would take about two weeks. As long as you performed the job, they are obligated to pay you. To terminate you, they must give you notice. So your termination was officially at the time your received the letter. In other words, they are legally obligated to pay you for work done up until the time you received the letter notifying you of your termination.

The company that I was "On Site" for offered to pay for my time.
If they do so, does my ex employer have any legal recourse against me?
If you collect your pay from your ex employer for the same time that the “On site” company pays you for, that would most likely be a breach duty that an employee owes the employer. An employee is an agent of the employer. To get paid by the employer and the "On Site" company would be a dual agency, and that is prohibited unless ALL parties agree to the arrangement.

Do I have any legal recourse against them for firing me while I was "away" on a job?
No you do not. Unless you have a contract, they can fire you any time for no reason at all. The only thing is that they must notify you of the termination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">