• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Revoking Vacation time after it was approved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

monte*98*

What is the name of your state? I'm from Minnesota and was planning to attend a wedding with my wife. I turned in my vacation time and it was approved so I bought airplane tickets and made arrangements to fly to Idaho. We are scheduled to leave in two days and my boss informed me that my vacation time has been revoked and I will be fired if I don't report to work. Is there anything that can be done??? Can they really fire me???

pattytx

They can fire you for any reason they want, the same as you could quit for any reason you want. There is only a wrongful termination if they fire you for an illegal reason, such as your gender, religion, ethnicity, race, etc.

I agree may be insensitive and unfair, especially since you have already paid for the tickets, but it's not illegal. You probably have to decide if this is a battle you want to fight.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">