• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RIF (Reduction in force)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kjee11

Texas
On the 21st of this month I was terminated from my employment along with 4 of my collegues. We operated a state university golf course that was recently restructured under new univ. department.
We were all full time benefits earning Texas state employees. The reason given in writing for our release was Reduction in Force (RIF). But I've learned that the new department head that fired us is posting 5 job position openings for the golf course on the university website.
How can this be a REDUCTION IN FORCE if they turn around and hire 5 new employees to take our places? Does this constitue a wrongful termination since we were given RIF as the reason for our dismissal?
The University is a "public employer" and our positions were nonexempt classified under the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act). I have questions as to wheather they were in violation of FLSA and Texas Paycheck Laws by how they handled our compensatory time and the length of our pay periods. We were paid monthly and NEVER given time and a half for our comp time earned but not taken in the pay period in which it was earned.
Is there a case here?What is the name of your state?

Beth3

How can this be a REDUCTION IN FORCE if they turn around and hire 5 new employees to take our places? Because the employer can call this whatever they wish to.

Does this constitue a wrongful termination since we were given RIF as the reason for our dismissal? No. Wrongful termination means you were terminated for a reason specifically prohibited by law. This does not qualify.

Nothing is preventing you from applying for the positions that are posted on -line.

I have questions as to wheather they were in violation of FLSA and Texas Paycheck Laws by how they handled our compensatory time and the length of our pay periods. We were paid monthly and NEVER given time and a half for our comp time earned but not taken in the pay period in which it was earned. Then you should contact TX's Department of Labor and discuss this with them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">