• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to privacy / Lied to

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I was hired August 1, 2000 as a part time employee of a large Department store. Three weeks before my 90 day evaluation I was asked if I would be interested in a full time department manager's position. I said "yes." Well, I recieved the position on November 1, 2000. On, December 28,2000 I was approached by a co-worker who said I thought they let you go. (Meaning fire me) I said I don't know anything about it.(PRIVACY ISSUE) Which prompted me to go to my store manager and ask. He said yes and no. He said my position was eliminated therfore I was fired. But, I was welcome to come back the next day and remit a new application and that I would be hired back part-time. Is that legal?? Also the lie comes in here. After being hired back and coming in for work I found that they gave another person that worked there my position. My job title. Is that legal?? I feel that I was lied to and that my right to privacy was infringed upon. Please get back to me.
I live in West Virginia. THANKS!!

B

buddy2bear

No union, no employment contract -- at-will. They can do anything they like with their workforce so long as it is not illegal. Apparently, you didn't "shine" as a manager so they demoted you. A lot of department stores only offer full-time work to managers so that they don't have to pay any benefits to the rest of their employees and can "jerk" you around. Basically, there is no "privacy" at work and except for the bathroom, you shouldn't expect any. Losey personnel department. Even though you don't like the way it was handled, that's life. Pretty good "grapevine" you got there. Personally, I'd look for another job, because this one sounds like a loser.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">